21 May 2013

Make your own candles.

So I have always wanted to make my own candles but didn't know how and couldn't really find much on how to do it or the stuff I needed. (I didn't look too hard.)

So when I cam across a little candle making kit in spotlight i had to grab it despite that it was the only one left and not in good condition.

In it was soy wax, a silicon mold (tea lights), 2 glass candles holders (Votive). tea light holders, some Wick and holders, one ling cotton wick, a scent and some coloring powder, oh and a nail (spike) that i didn't use.


So I took some of the soy wax melted it in a saucepan on a low heat, they said to add about 20% more than you actually need for the candle, some burns away.


Once melted add in a few like 2 drops of any scented essence you want, I didn't want the lavender that came with the kit so I got out my poison essence, really want to know whats in it, if you know tell me in a comment please.

Now I rummaged through the house till I found some rubber gloves, it you are anything like me you need them, an apron and some grease proof (baking paper) laid out where your working. Now that your all stain proof add in some color, I was going to see if you can use food color or those eater egg coloring tables (smashed of course) but I couldn't find them but am sure they will work.


Now came the hard part I like the smart person I am decided to try the glass candle first, you have to place the wick in this one first, they say to soak the wick in the melted wax first but it really didn't do much, neither did using the melted wax to glue the wick in the middle of the glass because as soon as you poor in the warm wax that wax melts away too. I ended up filling it up and holding the wick in the middle of the glass with 3 well placed tooth picks. it worked.



With the tea light they way to fill out the molds and wait the 4 hours for it to set before using the spike to poke a hole through the middle for the wick and holder. I cheated and placed the wick holder down first and then poured in the wax. Came out fine to me.


I have not yet had the chance to test them out and I'm sure they will be waiting a while but they smell and look nice after I cleaned them out a bit.

If you have some candle making tips please leave a comment, if you liked my little try comment or if you think it was not so good comment.

~pkarpicz

No comments:

Post a Comment